Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image
  • Friday, July 6, 2012
  • Andrea
  • How do you stay motivated as a writer and what keeps you going?

    I sat for quite a while and thought of how best to answer this question. I wanted to make sure that I not only answered the question, but also encouraged other writers who may be struggling with motivation as well.
    The idea for this book came from a dream which I had in December of 2008. Since that dream, I have written nearly every day since. I don't write because I want to be 'famous' some day. I don't write because I want some sort of gratification or recognition from others. I write for myself. At the end of the day, it's just me and my thoughts.
    In the beginning, I wrote because it was an escape from things I was going through when I was younger. If you would have told me that I would have been an aspiring author in four years time, I would have told you you were insane. I hated English class because I allowed bad teachers to ruin it for me, but I have always been good at making things up.
    While writing still helps me unwind after a hard day, it's become more about how much I want others to see the images that I see in my mind. I can't tell you how excited I am that the Tabitha Hale Saga is finally in the publishing process- because I want everyone to know the characters and love them as much as I do. That's what keeps me going.
    How I stay motivated is another beast in and of itself. I set goals for myself daily. For example, today I woke up knowing I had a coffee date with a friend. I also have a youth group activity to attend this evening which leaves the in between 'free'. I typically write at the end of the day before I go to bed, but with the activity tonight, my goal was to get my daily post written and then get a bit of book four accomplished before I have to turn around and leave again.
    It really is all about time management. Set a reminder on your phone that sends you an encouraging quote or pencil in a specific time without the internet that you have to sit down and write. Let a friend know your schedule so that they can help keep you accountable in your time management and don't let anyone bring you down. The moment you allow negative thoughts to crowd your mind, you have lost the ability to write. Instead approach negativity with the outlook of, 'I will prove all of them wrong.' And don't just say it. Do it.

    -A

    If you have a question about the Tabitha Hale Saga, please feel free to shoot me a message here or leave a comment at the bottom of this post and I will incorporate it into my daily schedule. (Once you're on the website, click 'contact' on the upper right hand side.) Make sure you subscribe either via email or blog so you don't miss tomorrow's question!

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment